Saturday, December 8, 2007

The EXAM day ...

Finally, the day of exam dawned - 27th November 2007! I went to the closest prometric center, NIIT Ghatkopar, Mumbai, India. The exam was scheduled at 4.00 pm. When I went, I found there were three PCs allotted for prometric exams, and already three candidates were giving the exam. The co coordinator and my self were doing the necessary paperwork before the exam. One thing I did not understand, is although I signed wherever it was required, I was asked to give a thumb impression also. I wonder what that is for. … I asked the co coordinator "what is this for?", and he said "this is a part of the process as asked by the prometric institution to be executed in every center worldwide, to refrain any criminal from taking the exam." CRIMINAL??!! So criminals also give exams? COOL!!! Later I was asked to keep my cell phone and my bag in a locker provided by the center.


Finally one girl who was giving the exam got from her seat, and then I went and sat on the PC to give the exam. I was getting goose bumps … I was scared! "Will I be able to pass??!! Will I make any mistake while using the application while attempting the exam??!!" I was loosing confidence, with all such doubts polluting my mind. I closed my eyes for few seconds…said to my self “FUCK OFF! … just give the god damn exam, OMKAR!!!” In the meantime the coordinator was configuring the application for me to give the exam. Believe me, when I actually started giving the exam, I got a feeling, that the exam is so simple! SHIT! I was unnecessarily getting scared. But things were going the other way round. The application was really simple, I could at any point of time come to previous question, whenever I wanted to and change my answer. There was an option to mark a question, if I thought the question was doubtful. While I was giving the exam, I was frequently looking at the far right hand corner of the application where the time (…bomb!!!) was ticking! I was given a Card paper covered with plastic and carrying the logo of the Thompson Prometric Institute. Along with this paper, I was given a sketch pen and an eraser. I was allowed to work out whatever I wanted to on that card paper. I used the paper mostly for solving the questions based on string references and programs based on operators and operands. Soon, I reached the 61st question, and found that I have almost 40 minutes in my hand. “WHAT!!!” I finished so quickly, I started looking here and there, other candidates had left. I was alone. “Phew! Now, what to do?” I was thinking, “should I leave early… to avoid the evening rush in the local trains of Mumbai…OR…should I go through all the questions again? …hmmm…may be I will go through all the questions again”, in the last screen, I could see the list of 61 questions and the ones I had marked. By clicking on the question number I could straight away, go to that question. I went through all the questions …and lo! I still had 20 more minutes with me. Now what??!! I thought may be I will end the exam and submit my answers. After asking the coordinator I clicked on end exam, and after that a printer was printing out my score. The coordinator said from the corner of the room near the printer, “Congratulations, you have passed, 65%”. ... “What??!! 65%??!! That’s it?? But…but, the exam was really easy for me. What the heck! With two years of unfocussed, dishonest, lazy study…this is the score!!! Fine! At least, I passed the exam” and this is how I consoled my self. And now I am “Sun Certified Java Programmer!” Actually, I scored well in those sections which I ignored somewhat, and scored miserably in some sections which I thought I prepared well. This contradicted me to a certain extent.


After giving the exam, I did not feel good or bad. May be because, the score was less or I was Sun Certified now! With heavy heart, I went home and slipped into my bed, since I was feeling weak with the exam result or may be due to the medication. After a good sleep, I woke up…and said to my self, “Its ok, Omkar! … You are Sun certified now! That is more important than anything else!” The next thing that hit my mind was the thought of putting down my experience in blog, which will be helpful for others, and here I am writing this blog sharing my experience with you.