Saturday, December 8, 2007

How I was inspired to give this exam...


Hello friends, seeing you all after a long time. Last week I gave my SCJP 1.4 exam and would like to share my experience. I will pour down all the things I did, how those things didn’t work, how some of my plans worked …etc.,

How i was inspired to give the exam...
I was doing my graduation, B.E. Information Technology from Mumbai University. I did not know anything about certification and its possible value, until one fine day in the college one of my friends walked into the classroom with a big yellow color mail containing the Sun Java Certificate.

His name is Hemanshu Ghia.

Hemanshu then flashed out a small debit sized card from Sun Microsystems bearing his name and saying that he is Sun Certified Java Programmer. It was so impressive thing to see. Soon I got this feeling that, I want some such thing too. But, I did not know how and where to start. But Hemanshu introduced me with information I was needed to know. But with all the hectic exams and project undertaking, there was little I could do for the certification exam.

Soon, I graduated and was looking for job. With only first class in B.E. it was difficult to get a job in Mumbai. This was the time when I started again thinking about giving the certification exam. I started my R n D on this exam. Look at the irony, I was tired of the engineering exams, and here I was excited to study and give the exam. One thing is for sure, since my graduation I was attracted to JAVA. My last year project was also J2EE based. I still feel that Java is the BEST TECHNOLOGY. Almost 6 months after getting graduated, I got a job but in .NET. But I wanted to work in JAVA. So, I thought, may be this SCJP will be my gate pass to jump into a JAVA project in either same or some other company. So I resumed my R n D which I had paused for few months after getting a job.


Basically, following things inspired me to give the certification exam:-
  • Popularity!
  • License to jump into JAVA after working for few months in .NET
  • To get an edge over others in the same field, since many java developers are available in the market...But few SCJP Java developers.